You know the innocent kids cartoons where there is a villain and a superhero? The ones where only the people on the other side of the screen (meaning you and me!) know who the hero is? The cartoons where you can’t believe how brave these men and women are, and how they so easily accept their duty and then work enthusiastically through the night to save their town (or the earth). And how they jump out of bed the next morning ready to face another ‘normal’ day? And how they then act just as surprised as the rest of their village when the people finally realise that someone saved the day somewhere during the wee hours of the night? And they never let it slip that they are the heroes? Well, I adore them (or at least most of them).
So this blog is to all the brave cartoon superheroes!
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not be terrified or dismayed (intimidated), for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
I think there are a couple of good lessons we can learn from our favourite cartoon superheroes. So here is my top ten list of “The Christian superhero code of conduct”:
- Believe in God, not the power of the world: “ children (believers, dear ones), you are of God and you belong to Him and have already overcome them [the agents of the antichrist]; because He who is in you is greater than he (Satan) who is in the world [of sinful mankind].– 1 John 4:4 AMP
- Trust in the protection of our Lord Almighty: “The Name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous runs to it and is safe and set on high [far above evil].” – Proverbs 18:10 AMP
- You can only conquer if you go prepared: “Above all, lift up the protective shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” – Ephesians 6:16 AMP
- Be certain of the power you received through Christ: “I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]” – Philippians 4:13 AMP
- Be kind & Humble yourself (put others first!): “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you except to be just, and to love and to diligently practice kindness (compassion), and to walk humbly with your God [setting aside any overblown sense of importance or self-righteousness]?” – Micah 6:8 AMP
- Maintain justice: “Blessed are those who observe justice by honoring God’s precepts, who practice righteousness at all times.” – Psalm 106:3
- Accept your superhero power: “But you will receive power and ability when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be My witnesses [to tell people about Me] both in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and Samaria, and even to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8
- Embrace your superhero duty with commitment & eagerness: “Let us not grow weary or become discouraged in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap, if we do not give in.” – Galatians 6:9
- Have faith in the bigger picture: “For I know the plans and thoughts that I have for you, says the Lord, plans for peace and well-being and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11
- Don’t brag about your work for the Kingdom of God: “But when you give to the poor and do acts of kindness, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing [give in complete secrecy], so that your charitable acts will be done in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.” – Matthew 6:3-4 AMP
The world can only benefit from a few extra willing hands after all. Accept your part and your function in this journey we call life, and work on your own superhero powers!