How many of us, when we know this is the man, are really committed to praying for husbands/men in our lives? When was the last time you took your man’s hands into yours and said a prayer for him? Does he even know that you cover him in prayer?
So many women are under the impression that they don’t need to pray for their man as “he seems to have everything in control” or that “he has a close relationship with God.” Really? Have you ever thought that he too may be under the attack of the enemy from time to time, or to maybe pray for his safety to and from work, or that meeting he has been dreading all week?
To take up that role means that you are the one that communicates with God and intercedes for and on behalf of your partner. That you should be the godly woman that God created you to be, to do whatever is necessary to ensure that the peace and joy of God is in your home and marriage. Are you willing to be the kind of woman that God created you to be and pray for your partner no matter what?
So many women ask “why do we have to pray for our husbands?” and then “What do we pray for?”
Here are a few reasons why we should pray for our husbands, and I’m sure you can think of a few more;
- You will gain your husband’s trust knowing that he can rely on you to cover him in prayer no matter how big or small the matter. How amazing to know that the person you love has your back.
- It gives you favor with your husband especially when you trust God completely for whatever you desire for your husband.
- It makes him feel loved and honored when he knows that you spend time in God’s presence interceding on his behalf, and knowing that you are there to lift him when he is spiritually weak or tired. That you will fight those spiritual wars for him when it is needed most.
- Your husband will feel more connected to you on a spiritual and emotional level, therefore allowing God time to grow in your home and to be able to share God freely with each other.
- And best of all is that you have a front row seat to see God’s awesome work in your husband’s life.
Now for the “what do we pray for?”
As his partner you know full well if anything affects your husband it is bound to affect you in the long run. It is so important to pray for every area of his life and to be led by the Holy Spirit while you pray.
- Pray for his work and that he may be an effective leader and excel in his job.
- Pray for your marriage to be blessed, according to God’s will.
- Pray that he will be a good provider and an excellent father to the children, and a good head to the home.
- Pray that God will keep him in good health.
- Pray for his spiritual growth and relationship with God. We are urged to pray for him to be filled with the knowledge, spiritual wisdom and understanding. Also to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work, to be strengthened with all power and for endurance and patience.
- Pray for the calling God has upon his life
- Pray that he will be a man of integrity, honor and humility.
- Pray that he will have a purpose driven life for God.
- Pray that he will put God first in everything that he does.
Remember there are those times when disagreements come along and you really do not feel like praying for your husband.... instead of dwelling on the hurt and pain, this is the best time to really give him to God. Remember that he is also human, and just like us, disappointment or hurt, whether intentional or not is very possible, there will definitely be times when trials will come but God is still in control because He is in the centre of your relationship.
Never give the enemy the opportunity to gain a foothold in your life by allowing the past to consume or overwhelm you. Let go, forgive and allow God to take complete control of the situation and restore you both to higher levels.
Another point to consider; have you ever thought about fasting when in praying for something really important? When most people hear the word “Fasting” it sends shivers through their brain. Well, it does exactly the same, if not worse to satan. He knows that when a dedicated child of God is determined to start incorporating fasting with prayer they have the ability through God to accomplish anything. We also need to remember to keep ourselves humble – humbling ourselves allows a progression in our relationship with God. We need to also make a decision to walk diligently in obedience with God on a daily basis. Our decision should be to seek God and allow Him to use us as women of God to expand His Kingdom. We should thrive to want to walk in the highest dimension of faith possible with God on a daily basis, thus giving us the confidence in our prayers once we have prayed. This confidence has the ability to extremely agitate satan, and remember that when we live out God’s purpose in faith, and pray for our men while occasionally fasting, we become very threatening to satan. You may ask why is fasting so powerful? Why does it move God to do things we may never see Him do otherwise? Fasting is a MIGHTY demonstration of humility on our part, plain and simple.
Psalm 35:13 “...I humbled myself with fasting.”
So ladies.... the woman that prays is most definitely an instrument in the hands of God, and we are here to safeguard our men and our homes against the attacks of the enemy. A woman is on call 24 hours a day, always on alert because at anytime she may feel the need to pray for a particular issue as she is led by the Holy Spirit. She is indeed a woman led by the Lord and is willing to do whatever necessary to stand by her man.
Remember, that praying for your husband in accordance with the will of God can never lead you down the wrong path. The words that come out of your mouth has the ability to either make or break your husband.
Today you can choose whether want to be this instrument in God’s hands or not....
May the Lord empower you to be the instrument in your marriage and strengthen and equip you as you make that commitment today.